App Off Cooking Competition
20% of final mark
to complete your on-line reflections, please click on this link.
see rubric HERE
Building on information learned this semester, you will work to develop your own original appetizer and then compete by cooking your dish against other students in your class.
Your appetizer must:
* be no more than 6 bites of food on one plate (you will be making 2 identical plates)
* must use as many of the 4 cooking methods we have looked at this semester (i.e. saute, steam, deep fry, stew) – the more of these cooking methods you use, the higher the score
* must use as many of the knife skills we have looked at this semester (i.e. dicing an onion, mincing garlic, macedoine, paysanne, zesting) – the more of these cooking methods you use, the higher the score
* must use a portion of top round beef (this is a tough cut of meat, so you will need to review how you will need to cook this cut properly)
* must try to use seasonal ingredients (the more the better!)
* should be beautiful, colorful, thoughtful AND taste amazing!
What you’ll need to do before the appetizer competition
* Determine the appetizer you will make for the competition (see above for details).
* Complete the on-line form about your appetizer
* Complete and hand in a shopping list
* Practice the appetizer recipe
* You will have 2 classes to prepare your dish and on the final day you will plate 2 identical plates for the judges. One for tasting, one for presentation.
* you will NOT be able to bring any ingredients from home for this competition.
* Complete the on-line form reflecting on your appetizer
Judges will be grading each appetizer on the following 3 criteria: appearance, use of regional/seasonal ingredients, texture and taste.
Your final mark will be determined on the successful completion of all on-line forms (2 in total), originality of your appetizer (see note above), the incorporation of information gathered in throughout the semester, and the judge’s responses.