• 1-1/2 lb (680 g) asparagus
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
• 1 chopped leek, (white part only)
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
• 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
• 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
• 4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth or chicken broth
• 1/3 cup (75 mL) 10% cream
• chopped Fresh chives
Snap off woody ends of asparagus; cut stalks into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) lengths. Set aside.
In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook leek, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 10 minutes.
Add asparagus, parsley, lemon rind, lemon juice and pepper. Pour in broth and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 1 cup (250 mL) of the asparagus tips; chop coarsely and set aside.
In batches in blender or food processor, puree soup; press through sieve over saucepan to remove any fibre. Pour in cream; heat until steaming. Serve garnished with reserved chopped asparagus and sprinkling of chives.