• 3 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoon pepper
• 12 pounds flanken, chuck, or brisket of beef
• 4 large onions, chopped
• 1/2 C flour
• 12 cups boiling water
• 1 cup honey or to taste
• 8 large carrots, coarsely grated
• 4 turnip, coarsely grated
• 4 beet, coarsely grated
• 4 sweet potato, peeled and quartered
1. Mix salt and pepper and rub it into the beef. Place in a Dutch oven or heavy pot with the onions and brown slowly over a medium heat. Add the flour, mixing well. Add the water, stirring, until it reaches the boiling point. Cover and simmer slowly for about 1 hour.
2. Mix the honey in with the meat, then add the vegetables and remaining salt. Cover and bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for an hour and a half, removing the cover for the last 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.