Kale, Sausage and White Bean Soup
Kale and White Bean Soup
• 2 lb dried white beans such as Great Northern, cannellini, or navy
• 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 8 cups chicken stock
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 4 bay leaf
• 4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
• 2 lb smoked sausage such as kielbasa (optional), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
• 8 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 lb kale stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
Cover beans with water by 2 inches in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, 1 hour. Drain beans in a colander and rinse.
Cook onions in oil in a pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beans, broth, 1 L water, cheese rind, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and rosemary and simmer, uncovered, until beans are just tender, about 50 minutes.
While soup is simmering, brown sausage (if using) in batches in a heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning, then transfer to paper towels to drain.
Stir carrots into soup and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in kale, sausage, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.