1/2 cup oil
4 kg deboned leg of lamb, cubed
400g raw pepita, toasted
135 ml sesame seeds
15 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
12 cloves of garlic, peeled
6 large onions, roughly chopped
Juice of 3 lemon
100 ml oil
3 Tbsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cloves
18 cardamom pods
1 Tbsp cinnamon sticks
700 ml Greek yoghurt
4 Tbsp cornstarch
2 L water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Heat oil in a large pan and brown the meat.
• Remove from pan and set aside.
• In a blender, blitz the pepita, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, onions and lemon juice together to form a paste.
• Heat some more oil in the pan the meat was browned in and fry the paste for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring continuously.
• Add the spices and fry for a further minute or 2.
• Blend the yoghurt, cornstarch and water together.
• Return the meat to the pan and add the yoghurt mixture and season.
• Cover and simmer for 1 – 1 ½ hours.