Pumpkin Pound with a Bleeding Fig
A Pumpkin Pound with a Bleeding Fig
300g raw sugar
zest of 1 orange
2 tbsps orange juice
500g grated pumpkin
2 tsps baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in one bowl.
2. Beat the butter in another bowl until light and fluffy, and slowly whisk in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Alternately fold in a spoon of flour and a spoon of the grated pumpkin. Fold in the orange juice and zest.
4. Fill cupcake cases, leaving a space for the batter to rise. Bake for roughly 30 minutes (the baking time depends on how watery your pumpkin was, so it may take anything up to an hour for the cupcakes to be ready -keep checking at 5 minute intervals after the initial 30 minutes). Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Place upside down on a plate. Quarter a fig, making sure not to cut all the way through, so that the figs open just enough to balance on a pumpkin pound without completely falling apart. Squirt some raspberry coulis down the middle of the fig and allow it to drip onto the plate.